Thursday, September 20, 2012

Our first riding experience

So we got a 125cc Yamaha and it fits the two of us real snug.  It is a single speed so it makes riding around alot easier.  I volunteered to drive the scooter back to our hotel.  I did pretty well except for the last traffic light.  The traffic lights here don't make much sense and for whatever reason they are posted about 1 meter before the intersection and only on the right side of the rode.  So if you miss it, like I did, I ran the red light...not that it matters since the traffic law is only suggested...but I guess this was the only intersection where motorists would abide.  So I received an A, not an A+ per our Vietnamese friends that I was following back to our hotel.

Paul and I practiced for an hour around our neighborhood and finally felt comfortable enough to fill up the gas tank.  Gas stations are few and far between and we found one that was pretty close.  I have to videotape the gas stations here.  So I roll up and my new Yamaha which takes 92 octane, there are several pumps and you have to figure out which tank is the one you need while you're weaving and boving between other scooterists hungry for gasoline.  I think my tank only hold 3-5 gallons and costs about 50K VND.  We should be set for 1 week.  The traffic in  D7 is pretty rough but not as bad as the other districts since D7 is fairly new.  SO the agreement is that I can only ride in this area....for now :)   I found my way back home with Paul sitting in the back.  I think I got this whole driving in Vietnam down, it's just a lot of adjusting especially with carrying a passenger but I'm already getting use to it.

If you get a ticket that you think is unfair, don’t imagine you’ll have the opportunity to argue the case before a judge. The U.S. State Department points out that in many countries a driver, including an American, who violates a traffic law may have to pay a fine directly to the police officer issuing the ticket. Failure to do so could result in having your car impounded, even if it’s a rental car. Also, no such thing as car insurance...if you get into an accident, if you can walk, that's the end of that, the other person whether it's there fault or not, drives away.


At 6, we had an appointment at the 24 Fit gym.  We're debating between this gym and Crescent Wellness.  Going to a gym is a luxury in Vietnam and boy does the price prove it.  It's about $75 a month but these places are amazing and everything is brand new featuring the latest equipment.  It was around 7:30 and Paul just got his ass kicked by a personal trainer while I took a boxing class.  I have taken boxing for about 4 months with an amazing trainer Vince in Marina del Rey so I had the form down, my new instructor was surprised that I "picked things up so quickly" not knowing that I had previously taken classes.  The boxing class had 7 boys and 2 girls, the other girl in the class spoke English and had taken Muay Thai (spelling) before.  So the 2 of us were kicking ass while the boys were in total awe.  That felt pretty good but I'm sure it won't last long.  I quickly made friends with Marian, she is a Canadian teacher here is really cool and our very first friend.  Anyhow it was time to leave and with our luck it started to rain. Just my luck, on my first day I had to learn to ride with Paul in the back, in the fraken dark under rain....we survived another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment