Friday, November 30, 2012

Ultimatum

I have sent my resume out to at least 10 different schools and English Programs and have 3 solid leads.

I have the opportunity to train and become a Kindermusic teacher after a 15 week intensive program.  This program is really unique because it caters to newborns all the way up to 7 year old children These years are the most critical years in the child's development.  Hence Kindermusic has created a program to assist children develop more through movement and music.  If you're interested you should check out this TED talk  http://www.ted.com/talks/patricia_kuhl_the_linguistic_genius_of_babies.html

The other opportunity I have is with a newer school called Master English, they offer full time jobs and work visas, the only downside is that it's so far away.  You've seen the traffic here so it's best to avoid it.

With these 2 jobs in my back pocket, I decided to give UEC (the ideal school to work at) an ultimatum.  I woke up this morning extremely confident.  I had sent my resume to the hiring manager a week ago and had not heard back.  So I decided I was walking in to follow up but to also let them know that they were this close to losing me as a potential teacher at their school.  I arrived at a random time, 10:30am and asked to speak with the hiring manager.  I was told to come back at 11am because he was teaching a class.

When I returned, I thanked him for seeing me without an appointment and told him frankly that I wanted to work here and that I have offers that I need to respond to and that I wanted to check if UEC would take me on or not before I commit to the other schools.  He actually seemed relieved to have me there and so he explained about a teacher who was a "no show" twice this week.  Also the reason why he was teaching that morning was because he had to fill in for that "no show" teacher.  Timing was on my side.

He asked if I could do a demo at 5PM and teach 10 year old students English at a pre-intermediate level.  It was only going to be a 30 minute demo.

I was so excited and went home and began to write up a demo for this target age group.  It took me longer than it should.  I arrived promptly and performed the demo as best I could!  It was all worth it too because I got the job.  Well sorta....He gave me a glowing review and mentioned that he has a new class starting this Monday and he hasn't assigned a teacher to the class yet.  He has to do some shuffling but has me in mind for the course.  Then he asked if I was free tomorrow morning.  Certainly I said, and I got a gig for Saturday morning from 9-11:30.  Took me another 2 hours to write out the lesson plan and I hope it goes over well tomorrow.

I'm super pooped but I had to tell you all the great news!  I just hope that I get the Monday gig and get more hours at this school and a freakin work visa!!!

Ultimatums work :)


No comments:

Post a Comment