Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Seeking a New Teaching Position

It's my last week teaching at the University of Economics, I am going to miss those kids.

So I am on a mission to find a new job in my district.  It would be ideal to work from 9-12 break from 12-3, walk home (2 blocks away) and return to work from 3-6.

I am going to apply at 2 kindergarten school.  I looked up their website and I swear these places need assistance with translation and content.  I wonder how it would be to teach such young kids?

I will also apply at English schools and I have a feeling they may place me with the younger kids and I'll be working really odd hours, like 6-9pm weekdays and early mornings on weekends.  Hopefully this will lead to better hours down the line.

My ultimate goal is getting into SSIS or RMIT, which are considered prestigious colleges and only teachers with years of experience and a glowing resume can get in.  I hope to break through in a year after teaching at these other schools first.

The pay for a teacher here is reasonable.  So if you are considering picking up and moving to Vietnam, you can take the CELTA certification crash course for 2k here, but it's a really great program and you can count on  working immediately.  I would strongly advise against TESL or TEFL from the US, I learned nothing and it was such a waste of my time.

I did the math and on average a teacher gets paid between $10 to $30 an hour.

I am receiving $20 at UEH but it's such a far drive and pretty unorganized.  At UEC the school that would be most ideal for me is paying $17 but after tax it's $15.  So you can make up to 29k a year, which is more than enough money.  You can probably spend half of that on living expenses and traveling and still be able to keep 10-15k of it.

It's amazing how you can save so much here and eventually take it back to the US and do what you've dreamed of, pay off a debt, put a down payment on a house or get that new car you've always wanted.

The world is your oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment