Sunday, November 25, 2012

Monopoly

When we first arrived to Saigon, there was a bar/restaurant under construction and we watched its progress everyday. The grand opening was last week and so Paul and I decided to check it out.  We walked out 20 steps and arrived to Monopoly.  The theme was board games and bar games.  The place has a variety of board games from all around the world but they were all very long games like Monopoly, Risk, Chutes and Ladder, etc.  There's also a pool table and a dart board but no customers.

After checking out the games, we studied the menu and boy was it poorly written.  Lotsa typos, bad formatting, poor food description and etc.  The menu catered towards Vietnamese people and Foreigners.  Paul ordered from the "Western" side and I ordered from the "Vietnamese" side.  I got my meal but it was served without the proper sauce.  Paul's order arrived and he got a plate with 5 pieces of beef rolled with sandwich cheddar cheese for 100k.  We ordered 2 beers during happy hour but it was on the expensive side.  

We paid and were on our way home.  The owner Jay ran over and thanked us for stopping by.  Then he asked us what we thought.  I decided to be nice but frank, and so I gave him my thoughts.  We exchanged numbers and he said he wanted to talk some more.

I get a call from him the next day and I we decided to meet.  So basically he wants me to help revitalize his restaurant and bar.  I have always wanted to open up a theme bar, and here was an opportunity to try out some of my ideas on someone else's dime.  But the hardest part is to figure out if I should give out my ideas, because what if I decide to open a bar one day and I've given them all out.  On the other hand, what is the likelihood of that, so maybe I will turn his bar into an American Bar using American games and help him get more customers in.  If so, the other problem I face is how I will go about charging him, what are my ideas really worth?

They aren't super grand ideas but they are unique to Vietnam.  First off, Vietnamese don't sell pitchers of beer.  So I want him to get some, especially because I want them for beer pong and flip cup.  Maybe this can be the event available on Friday nights.  

Then on Saturday night I want to bring in line dancing or some kind of activity where a large group can learn together.  I remember going to a line dancing bar in Hollywood where they would teach you for the first hour then music would keep playing specific to the dances you just learned and you can practice all night.  The great thing about line dancing is that you can go alone but still be part of a group.  

Paul thought I should do a bingo night, do people really still play bingo??

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Anyhow, it's a pretty good gig to have and its so close to home.  I just rewrote his whole menu and got paid handsomely.  I am going to write up a happy hour menu next and go from there....


No comments:

Post a Comment