Thursday, January 5, 2017

Maids

Living abroad in a developing country allows you to have maids and not burn a hole in your pocket. Now as great as this sounds, I am in a very bad situation and I'm sure all of you will agree that I'm to blame.

I have hired a Filipino maid that is obviously taking advantage of me.  She is always asking for advances and always in need of help.  It's really frustrating and really awkward but I can't say no. The advance has been increased to about $700 usd.  She is a single mom with 4 children in the Philippines and she is independently putting her children through school.

In my mind, that is not that much money for a person in need, but when she constantly calls in sick or makes last minute changes, it drives me crazy.

Since the new year, she has called in twice; sick and now she is unable to come for other reasons.  I have already made dinner plans which I now have to change.  The impacts are minor but I just think if I'm doing you a favor wouldn't you try to help the person who is helping you?

I need to let her go and just take the loss.  The only concern is Tet is coming up and I need a dog sitter.  Might have to sack her after Tet.

First world problems....

No comments:

Post a Comment