Saturday, January 12, 2013

It's a small world afterall...

I started working as soon as I got back from vacation and was fortunate to get a more hours.  With all the side jobs I have and the new hours at school, I am working about 40 hours a week and that does not include, preparing lesson plans, grading papers and quizzes or writing progress reports.

More hours at work were killing my feet, I brought 2.5 inch hills but that was still too high and I decided I needed to buy flats. When my sister and friends came to visit they brought $600 worth of $2 bills.  I wanted to trade them before Tet and so Paul and I thought we should go to Ben Thanh Market (black market). The exchange rate was the same.  We were told that we would get $3 bucks for every $2, but that didn't go our way.  Regardless, $2 are lucky and anyone we give it to really appreciate it.

In the back of my mind, I wanted to search for my family who are visiting from Australia but due to bad communication no one had anyone's phone number so we could not arrange to meet.  Paul remembered where we bumped into my uncle last October and so we thought we would give the hotel a try.  We found it after driving around in circles for half an hour.  The receptionist actually remembered me and told me that that my Go Suc was not here, but that my other uncles were at a hotel down the street.  The bell boy walked us over and gave me my uncle's number, which I thought was extremely odd.  I called the number and what do you know it was my Uncle Gong Suc!  Found them!  Uncle Steven was there!  Bach was there!  Their wives and children were there as well.  Downside to all of this, they have been in Vietnam for 10 days and today was the day they were leaving, a taxi was going to take them to the airport in an hour.  One hour together was better than nothing...

It's a small world afterall!

P.S. Found really cute flats at the Ben Thanh night market for a total $15  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment