Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ms. Tran--Teacher by Night

I got a job!  I am going to be a teacher, Helen and Traci, I can't wait to tell you guys all about it!  I start on Wednesday.  Just picked up the teacher's guidebook and wrote two lesson plans.  So here's my job break out.  I work at the Language Center at the University of Economics in D10.  It's a 30 minute ride and so I am trying to figure out if I should bus it, cab it, xe om (motorcycle taxi) it or have Paul take me.  The bus is nice but it stops running at 7pm and I teach a night course from 5:30 to 8:30.  I could cab it but that's a waste of money.  Xe Om is a great alternative but can be dangerous, and some of the drivers are not too reliable.  I have a friend who is going to try to refer me so I hope that works out.  Paul can drive me too, but that would be really stressful and I don't want him to wait around for 3 hours until I finish teaching.

When we woke up this morning Paul was eager to go for a ride.  We haven't ventured out of district yet, but Paul insisted that today was going to be the day.  We rolled out in tank tops (very odd here) with our large matching white helmets and fancy scooter, we totally stand out.  Boy did we get a lot of stares.  In Vietnam men and woman, young and old, cover up from head to toe.  With helmets, face masks, gloves, stockings, jackets with the hood on and long pants.  It's freakin hot here and they have all this attire on, and the funniest thing is the reason why they're doing it.....the want to stay white.  Being white out here is the trend, it is a sign of beauty and wealth.  So girls especially cover up from head to toe.  At night, it's a totally different story.

Anyhow, we traveled all the way from D7 to D10.  This was the furthest we ever went and I think we have finally gotten over the hump.  I think from here on out we can travel by scooter for the most part.  Finally no more bus and taxis.  Oh and I finally got a face mask.  Also we should probably wear long sleeve shirts too because Paul and I got sun burns when we got home.  So there is some logic behind this madness.


I forgot to include, I'm teaching communications/presentation skills on Wednesday nights and business venture on Friday nights.  This is a 2 month gig and if I do well I will get a 1 year contract, which means I'll get a working Visa!! whoohooo!!







No comments:

Post a Comment